Sunday, August 20, 2006

Yakov Agam Yizkor Sculpture at the Wailing Wall

Yakov Agam Magen DavidMy good old friend Yehuda heard about my interest in Stars of David and recommended I'll take a look at Yakov Agam Yizkor sculpture at the Wailing Wall in the old city of Jerusalem.
The sculpture is made from six big white Stars of David lit by gas. The six stars represent the six million holocaust Jewish victims. Between the stars there are the Hebrew letters of Yizkor, the Memorial prayer recited in memory of parents, children, wives or husbands, and martyrs.
When I arrived there at night I couldn't see it so I asked Yehuda on the mobile phone to direct me more accurately and then I saw it but its lighting was off.
A few days later I came back at day light and took a picture of it. I asked the owners of the roof where the sculpture is situated why is the lighting off and they answered it is because of safety problems with the gas.
I wander what Yaakov Agam thinks about this strike…
BTW Yaakov Agam has a special interest in Stars of David and many of his works deal with this symbol. I'd like to publish here more of his brilliant works but they are copyrighted…

2 comments:

zeevveez said...

Agan created this memorial in 1987
See: http://www.aejv.com/agam-bio.htm

Unknown said...

My grandfather was the benefactor who dedicated this sculpture. I went to the dedication ceremony in 1987. I haven't been to see it since. It makes me so incredibly happy to see it here.