Stars with a different number of points symbolize the Epiphany, the visit (lead by a star) of the Magi (Wise men from the east) to infant Jesus in Bethlehem,
- 4-pointed star represents the cross
- 5-pointed star (star of Jacob) represents God and man in one entity (head, two arms and two legs)
- 6-pointed star represents the nature of Jesus: power, wisdom, majesty, love, mercy and justice.
- 7-pointed star represents the gifts of the Holy Spirit: power riches, wisdom, strength, honor, glory and blessing.
- 8-pointed star symbolize regeneration
- 12-pointed star, symbolize the 12 tribes of Israel or the 12 apostles
From: http://www.fumcforestcity.com/templates/System/details.asp?id=35537&PID=421706Thanks to Dobush for referring me to this picture which is copied from Wikipedia entry Biblical_Magi