Sunday, April 09, 2006
1. Talmud, Passover tractate pp. 107, second page (Magen David (Star of David) was mentioned for the first time in the context of the blessings that are said in the Haphtarah)
2. Yehuda Hadassi, Eshkol Hacoffer, (Hebrew), 12th century (the author calls the hexagram (star with 6 points) by the name Magen David (Star of David).
3. Gershom Scholem, "The Star of David: History of a Symbol," in The Messianic Idea in Judaism (New York: Schocken, 1972
4. Franz Rosenzweig, "The Star of Redemption", ISBN 0-299-20720-X , Translated by Barbara E. Galli, (the relationships between God, humanity and world as they are connected by creation, revelation and redemption" – excerpt from Wikipedia) ("Rosenzweig composed The Star of Redemption into the form of a geometric structure to reflect the Star of David as a picture of reality.The work is in three parts each with three books beginning with an introduction and ending with an epilogue or a transitional "gate" into the next book").
5. Uri Ofir, "Hadegel book", Sefer Lakol , 2001 (Hebrew)
6. Uri Ofir, "The Emblem Book", Sefer Lakol, 2002, (Hebrew)
8. http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9E%D7%92%D7%9F_%D7%93%D7%95%D7%93 (Hebrew)
10. W. Gunther Plaut, "The Magen David: How the Six-Poined Star Became an Emblem for the Jewish" ("All Jews now put it on their shields; it has become their Magen, their protection. It belonged to David in legend and folklore, and under his name it became the property of the whole Jewish people.")
11. M Costa, "Hatakh ha-zahav, hotam Shelomoh u-magen-David", Poalim, 1990 (Hebrew)
12. Abigail Pogrebin, "Stars of David : Prominent Jews Talk About Being Jewish" ("60 interviews conducted by journalist Pogrebin explore the thoughts of well-known artists, politicians and others in the public eye on the complexities of Jewish identity"… Sarah Jessica Parker, Dustin Hoffman, William Kristol, Gloria Steinem and others).
13. Scott R. Benarde, "Stars of David: Rock'N'Roll's Jewish Stories" , 2003 ("how Judaism has shaped and influenced the makers of rock music over the past fifty years").
14. Shlomo Weiss, "The Structure of Creation : The Star of David as a Blueprint of the Universe" ,Thiele ,2006 ISBN: 1-4196-2254-4 ("How and why our world was created")
15. W. T Reid, "The spiritual symbolism of the Star of David", Ohio Messianic Testimony, 1943
16. R Brasch "The star of David", Angus and Robertson Sydney, Australia, 1956
17. Abram Poljak, "The cross in the Star of David", The Jewish Christian Community Press,1938
18. Asher Eder, "The Star of David", Jerusalem, Rubin Mass, 1987, 139 pages ("Comprehensive study of the meaning and history of this ancient Jewish symbol").
19. J. Leite de Vasconcellos (1858-1941), Signum Salomonis (Solomon's Seal), 1918 [in Portugese]. Vasconcellos suggests that the hexagram entered Portugal through Jews who settled there before the Roman period.
23. Kanof, Abram, Jewish symbolic art, Jerusalem Gefen Publishing, 1990 ISBN 965-229-055-6
24. Barkan Ze'ev, Star of David album, Jerusalem, 2008, Private Publishing
25. The Mystery Of The Menorah And The Star Richard A. Freund University of Hartford in
Nationalism, Zionism and ethnic mobilization of the Jews in 1900 and beyond ed. Michael Berkowitz, 2004 ISBN 9004131841
26. Hohertz, Edmund, History of a symbol: the Hexagram. A historic review of the use of the Star of David. Num, Apr77, 12pp, illus. (coins)
By American NumismaticSociety
Published 1947 American Numismatic Society